Friday, May 06, 2005

Q & A with Tom Collaro


Collaro

For anyone who's been reading this blog since its inception last August, you'll note that I've been impressed with 21 year old Sox farmhand, Tom Collaro. Sure, there are definately hotter prospects out there in the Sox minor league organiztion. But at the end of last year, with Great Falls in the Pioneer League, Collaro, who bats and throws right handed, eclipsed them all as he hit the cover off the ball. His outstanding performacne last year earned him a trip to High A ball for 2005. And so far this year, its been more of the same. Collaro, who stand 6 ft 4 and weighs in at 210, leads the Carolina League in homers (8) and RBIs (20) . He's near the top in every other offensive category as well.

Right Fielder Tom Collaro sat down with Warthogs Staff member Steven Bartek for a question and answer session.

Steve: What did you focus on in the off season?

Tom: I was basically working out, getting stronger, working on my swing a little bit. Nothing too strenuous because the off-season is a time to lay back and let your body recuperate. About a month to a month and a half, during spring training, you get ready to get going.

Steve: How were you acquired by the White Sox?

Tom: I was drafted out of high school but didn’t go. I was drafted the following year after one year at Palm Beach Community College.

Steve: What have you done different, if anything, to get yourself out to such a hot start?

Tom: Nothing really different. I worked with Raul Ibanez in the off-season. He was teaching me little things here and there. Other than that I’ve just been doing the same things but now it’s finally clicking.

Steve: How do you like the White Sox organization?

Tom: They have been good to me. They are a good organization. Obviously, it’s the only one I’ve been with but so far they have treated me fine.

Steve: Who would you compare yourself to in the Major Leagues?

Tom: I like to compare myself to Vladimir [Guerrero] just because of his plate discipline and we both swing at everything. I think I can hit a lot of bad pitches. He’s also a right fielder with a good arm.

Steve: If you were not a professional baseball player, what would you be doing?

Tom: I’d probably be fishing. I love to fish. That’s what I do in the off-season.

Steve: What is the biggest challenge in making it to the big leagues?

Tom: Like I was talking about before, plate discipline, pitch selection and swinging at strikes. I’d like to cut down on the strike outs a little bit.

Steve: Do you have any superstitions or do anything out of the ordinary before the game?

Tom: Not really. I give the sign of the cross after the anthem and just pray a little bit in the fourth inning.

Steve: How do you like living in Winston-Salem opposed to South Florida?

Tom: There’s no ocean here. The ocean’s kind of far so that’s a bad thing. But other than that I like the country, the weather’s been nice. It gets a little cold here but you’re going to get that. It’s actually nice out today.

Steve: How about the people?

Tom: Oh yeah, Southern Hospitality. It’s definitely a change from back home. The roads are a little nicer; you don’t get ran off the road. (Laughs)

Steve: If you could eat lunch with anybody dead or alive, who would it be?

Tom: Hard question. Right off the top of my head, I would have to say Mickey Mantle. Just to see what he would think about.

Steve: Would you rather win a ballgame offensively or defensively?

Tom: Hitting. I’ve had about three walk-offs in my career and there’s nothing more exciting than that. It feels good.

So there you go. Hard hitting, Pulitzer prize stuff it ain't. But hopefully it reveals a bit more about the mystery behind the big numbers... and provided some entertainment. If he keeps hitting like this, the Sox should move him up to AA late in the year to see how he does. I've heard making the jump from A to AA is a greater leap than from AAA (or even AA) to the major leagues. Guess we'll see. But I hope to see Collaro in Chicago in September 2006.

Special thanks to Steven Bartek for providing me with this copy and giving me permission to reprint it here. Truly, I'm grateful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home