Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Beane Ball


spread your lover in the straw

I was so happy to have my iPod back, that I've been all over the musical spectrum in the past 36 hours. More below....

Since I lead a busy and complex life, I really enjoy these late night west coast games. When the games are on early, like at 6 or 7, I tend to be doing other things and often miss them. But at 9, my day is pretty much winding down and I can just relax with a cold beer in a peaceful environment.That said:

Sox Update: What an ugly game. But Iguchi and Rowand each get three hits. Sox make 4 errors. We'll just have to wait for the injury report.

Down On the Farm:

Charlotte (AAA): back to their old ways...

Birmingham (AA): lose in an uneventful, rain-shortened game.

Winston-Salem (A): Amador is the story; 2 for 4 with 2 solo homers.
Collaro Watch: 1 for 4, but that one is a 3-run homer. Daigle goes 3 for 3, and Hinton goes 2 for 4. Flores strikes out 7 in 6 IP, giving up 2 ER.

Kannapolis (A): lose 9-3 in 11. Smith goes 3 for 4. A good start by Liotta is wasted. He pitched 7 innings, struck out 8, and gave up just 1 ER.

Baseball phrase of the day: get the thumb v. to be ejected from the game.

Today's music selection: Like I said, all over the board. Lots of bossa nova, some Husker Du, some 'Mats. I've never been a big Stevie Nicks fan, but there is something beauitifully spiritual about her music. Maybe its her angelic voice. I dunno. Let's see, what else? Outkast, the Toasters, Elvis Costello... But the one listen that's really stood out for me recently is Chris Whitey's Living With The Law. In its own way, its a very sexual and sensual album, which you wouldn't expect from slide-guitar heavy Belgian folk rock. But Whitley paints some lush musical landscapes, suggesting open spaces, open minds, open legs. The lyrics have some nice imagery as well - "Spread your lover in the straw" Indeed.

Olde Tyme Movie Review: Harold And Kumar Go To White Castle (2004). Some may think this doesn't qualify as an "olde tyme" film, but its basically just a new age "Cheech & Chong", updated for the 21st Century. It was pretty funny, and there were some 'laugh out loud' parts. Recommended.

Softball season starts in less than 3 weeks. I can't wait. I'm ready.

I'm not far enough into Dickens' American Notes to provide much of a commentary at this point. But since the Sox are in Oakland, I'll leave you with the following prose from the great Jack London:

"I look forward to a time when man shall progress upon something worthier than his stomach, when there will be a finer incentive to impel men to action than the incentive of to-day, which is the incentive of the stomach. I retain my belief in the nobility and excellence of the human. I believe that spiritual sweetness and unselfishness will conquer the gross gluttony of to-day. And last of all, my faith is in the working class. "

Well said, Jack.

1 Comments:

At 9:14 AM, Blogger EasyW said...

Adding free music downloads is a good idea Tony.

There's also a blog add-on available for free from a place called "Radio Blog" (I think) that somehow interacts with your iTunes and is constantly, randomly, shuffling short samples (about 10 seconds each) of tunes from your music collection. At least I think that's how it works. I haven't yet been able to figure it out, nor how to get it up and running on Southside Adventures. But when I do, look out - more MSB than even the heartiest North Coaster can handle.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home