Sunday, April 24, 2005

Pod Pleasure Part 2


you light up the night

I went without my iPod all week. Nothing wrong with it, I just kept forgetting to charge the battery. I thought the week off would do me some good, and stop the ringing in my ears, but the noise, or lack of it, is still there. Acutally, the only thing that makes it go away is Miles Davis. I know this because I listened to Kind Of Blue in the car while running errands yesterday.

Speaking of music, I caught a few minutes of a show on public access last night called Community Essentials, that featured a profile of an up-and-coming hip hop artist called 10 da Childish, who played a haunting mash-up of a cover of "One Is the Loneliest Number". Had he used the original version, as opposed to this female cover, I don't think it would've had the same chilling affect. But the beat was as sweet as anything Dr. Dre lays down, and the lyrics were tight. Now, I'm not a huge hip-hop guy. Sure, I dig De La Soul, Public Enemy, the Beastie Boys, some NWA, Cypress Hill - you know, the classics - and a few others. That Outkast record was the best mainstream thing I've heard in a few years - I loved it. But I'm pretty much a square old white dude. I don't pretend to be a hip hip hopper. And I do not get what the attraction to Enimen is. But back to 10 da Childish, his one tune I heard was some really good stuff. I can't find any info about the guy online, so if anyone knows anything, please feel free to post it.

2 Comments:

At 12:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the cover was probably Aimee Mann from that one soundtrack she did a lot of the music for.

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger EasyW said...

Aimee Mann - Sean Penn's sister-in-law. good call - I think that's it.

Haunting... and really good. The Childish mashup sounded like it distorted the sample in an echo chamber.

It was freakin genius I tell ya!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home