Tuesday, April 19, 2005

From Section 161

Sorry I wasn't able to post this earlier, I was running late and a bit hungover all day. A tall Coke and greazy eggamcmuffin with hash browns cured that fast.

Monday night was first trip to Comiskey this season. Actually, my first trip was monday afternoon, when I was the lone white guy taking the red line down to Armour Square on my lunch hour to buy bleacher tickets. I feared a game time, walk up sellout for the lower deck, and refuse to pay a $4 "convenience charge" to buy them online. Sox fans were out in force due to 1) half price night 2) the fine weather 3) the Twins. Security calls it "Half Price Fight Night" and I saw at least 4 fistacuffs in the stands.

I did some pregame drinking at Cal's Liquors. Its been a while since I've been in there, and I noticed they've redone the ceiling. That's good, since the last time I was there little chuncks of ceiling tiles were falling down into my beer.

Onto the game at 7 and it was a madhouse trying to get in. I had to walk from the red line stop all the way around to gate 3. Not sure if I just missed the secret entrance to the bleachers or what. Lines were long, since they only had 3 turnstiles open. Finally got in and got a beer in the middle of the 1st inning.We sat in the last row of sec 161, which was convenient when I had to get up for a beer or hit the can.

The park looks great. I can tell the difference since my last visit back in September. I feared the Fundamentals area would be an obstacle and an eyesore, like the one at the new park in San Fran. But it blends seamlessly, and is raised so high above the walkway, you hardly notice it. Nice job.

One conclusion I've drawn from last night's experience is that if I want to really watch the game, I've got to stop going to games. Whenever I go, I don't actually watch the game, like I do when its on TV. I can't see how the ball moves, etc... So I'd like to offer up some commentary, but can't really. What I can confirm is that there were a lot of gurls from the neighborhood in all sorts of shapes, sizes, and conditions last night. A lot of hotties. Tons.

The bathrooms had long lines out the door most of the night. I saw folks peeing in garbage cans, just like in Old Comiskey!

After the 7th inning, my pals dragged me down to The Bullpen bar. I didn't want to go. All that cinder block and chain link makes me feel like I"m in a jail. And, like a prison, there is a notable absence of females. Men outnumbered women about12 to 1. The place should should change its name to the Sausage Factory.

Left the bar about 20 minutes after the game ended and the crowd jammed along 35th street to get back on the northbound red line was crazy. So, we walked two blocks east to the green line, which was empty. Idiots.

Got home at 1 am. Sadly, alone.

Sox won 5-4. I guess. Everett had two homers and 3 RBIs. Crede also homered. Iguchi is now offically out of his slump, going 2 for 4. The pen saves Contreras.

Minor League Update:
Charlotte (AAA): ...lose 8-1 at Columbus. Burke gets 2 hits. Stewart give up 7 ER in 4 2/3rds, but strikes out 5. McCarthy on the hill tonight at Toledo.

Birmingham (AA): ...beat Jax 3-2. Honel gets the win - 3 Ks, 1 ER in 5 IP.

Winston-Salem (A): Beat Myrtle Beach 4-1. Valido gets 3 hits. Collaro goes 2 for 4 with a double and a run scored, he even gunned down a runner at the plate! Haeger improves to 2-0 by striking out 7 in 6 innings, giving up just one earned run. Amador had two errors.

Kannapolis (A):..lost to Greensboro 3-0. The offense fails to support a good outing from Gonzales, who strikes out 9, and gives up just 2 ER in 5 IP.

Baseball phrase of the day:far corner n/arch. thrid base.

Speedy recovery wishes to legendary, annoying and chronically unemployed Cub fan Ronnie "Woo Woo" Wickers, who was hit by a car at the corner of Clark and Addison. Police confirm the car was NOT driven by Andy the Clown.

The only thing those stupid Red papers are good for is gossip. And I was crushed to hear that the new love of my life, One Tree Hill sex machine Sophia Bush, was married over the weekend to one of her co-stars in Santa Barbara. I'll give it a year before she's "married but looking."

Lunch with my buddy from the Twins today. I'll come back with some inside stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home