Sunday, May 01, 2005

Playing catch-up

Work kicked my ass again this week. So, I've spend most of the past 36 hours under heavy medication. I did take some time out on saturday to head up to Roscoe Village and help my friend move. All the Busch Light I could drink.

Sox Update: I'm not going to rehash the box scores from friday and saturday here. And I didn't watch any part of either game. There were two stats that grabbed my attention from Saturday. First, Iguchi is hitting much better. The down tick in his production and plate discipline the 2nd week of April must just have been a lil slump. El Duque threw well over 100 pitches and his stats suggest it was another strong outing. What I've seen of him this year indicates to me the Yankees made a huge mistake getting rid of him. Michael Lewis and Billy Beane can make fun of Kenny Williams all they want, but at this point, Steinbrenner and the Bronx Bombers are KW's bitch. What's next? Timo for A-Rod?

I was a little disappointed to see Comiskey Park nearly deserted on friday night. But it was mostly full on saturday. I guess the difference that brought out the crowd being a combo of 1) the weather 2) post-game fireworks and 3) El Duque.

I did watch part of Kerry Wood's debacle in Houston last night. I stick to my pre-season prediction that the Cub won't finish above .500 and Prior and Wood won't get 35 starts combined. Today's Trib has a story on Joe Boroski's rehab stint. I though this guy had long since been returned back into the bowels of the Mexican League. The accompying picture in not flattering - he's got upper arms that look like my mothers.

Down On the Farm:

Charlotte (AAA): They actually won friday. Oh, wait, that's because McCarthy was pitching. He pitched just under 7 innings, struck out a seasaon-high 11 but did give up 4 ER. 5 Knights homer. Saturday, it was back to normal for the cellar dwellers...

Birmingham (AA): Lost to the Lookout 5-1 on friday. Beat them 9-1 on saturday. In the victory, Tracey 6 throws scoreless innings, striking out 5.

Winston-Salem (A): Friday beat Wilmington 10-4. Collaro was 0 for 4 for the 2nd time this week. But other Hogs covered him; Hinton was 3 for 5 with 2 homers and 4 RBIs. Amador has 2 SB. Miller struck out 5 in 3 innings of shutout relief work. Saturday was rained out.

Kannapolis (A): Friday, beat Lexington 5-4. Cook was 2 for 4. Saturday lost to Hagerstown 3-0.

Baseball phrase of the day: radio ball n. a fastball that can be heard but not seen.

Today's music seletcion: lots of piano jazz for me today - Monk and Mingus...

I'm in need of some boobs in my face.

4 Comments:

At 10:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check out the post on All Baseball...

http://www.all-baseball.com/cubreporter/archives/018396.html#more

There's an interesting discussion as to where the Cubs will finish this year. The consensus seems to be .500.

By the way, where do you get your minor league updates? I've never seen those before. It'd be nice to know how guys like Borchard are doing in the minors. Did he ever learn to hit?

 
At 4:12 AM, Blogger EasyW said...

Hi Mike Q--

I get most of my info from the Baseball America site -which is updated daily.

I'll check out that discussion, thanks.

And thanks for droppin by..

 
At 6:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to stop by. Man, though. I'm not sure I want to see what's going down in triple AAA.

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger EasyW said...

Its fuckin butt ass ugly in Charlotte....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home