Monday, October 11, 2004

Pitchin Woo Part 2; showin my true colors (or lack thereof)

First time I've posted twice in one day, but i just felt the need...

The Cheat's Blog (link at right) has a great piece on the Sox starting pitching situation. I guess I have to agree that Buehrle and Garcia are back... Hopefully they'll win at least 15 and only lose 10 or less... gettin 30 or so starts and 200 innings, ERA near 4... I thought Contreas' contract was up, but its not, so I'll alter my view here and throw him in the #4 or 5 slot. I just hope he can get his control together. If he does, he could win 20. If not, he could lose 20. Garland has no contract, so I say dump him - too many question marks...

Schonenweis is gone and Grilli starts at Charlotte...

The bullpen is set, so I'm not even going to touch it...

Comin up from the minors, you've got Felix Diaz and Brandon McCarthy. I saw Diaz pitch a few times last year and he looked OK, certainly light years ahead of Grilli. I don't know much about McCarthy...

So all that said, you've still got at least one hole - the #1 spot. I agree that Clement is not a #1 starter but if you get him in the #2 or 3 spot for a song, he might be worth it. I've seen him pitch plenty of times and haven't been real impressed. Nevertheless, he has a low low ERA and puts in the innings...

Anyways, read the Cheat's article and you'll get a better idea of where the Sox stand on the mound...

I also spent some time today reflecting on the evil monster that is Starbucks. Another thing they do that just makes my skin crawl is their whole false musical culture. I hate it when you walk in just to get some caffiene and they're rammin some awful Sheryl Crow or world music Malian guitarist down my throat. But I do wonder why they've never done a CD collection of songs about coffee - it seems so obvious. It got me thinking, and some pals helped me produce this list as a starting point:

Afghan Whigs * "Amphetamines and Coffee"
AWOL * "Coffee"
Black Flag * "Black Coffee"
Blur "Coffee and TV"
Brooke Benton * "Another Cup of Coffee, Then I'll Go"
Irving Berlin * "Let's Have Another Cup of Coffee"
Greg Brown * "Good Morning Coffee"
Charming Beggars – “Caffeine”
Coctails * "Clown's Coffee"
Lacy J. Dalton * "Black Coffee"
Dance Hall Crashers * "Java Junkie"
Rick Danko * "Java Blues"
Descendants * "Coffee Mug"
Dire Straits – “Espresso Love”
Eddie Duchin "Coffee in the Morning,
Orchestra * Kisses at Night"
Bob Dylan * "One More Cup of Coffee"
Enchanters * "Cafe Bohemian"
Ruth Etting * "You're the Cream in My Coffee"
Faith No More * "Caffeine"
Lefty Frizzell * "Cigarettes and Coffee Blues"
Bill Haley and the Comets * "40 Cups of Coffee"
Tom T. Hall * "Don't Forget the Coffee, Billie Joe"
Brenda Kahn * "I Don't Sleep, I Drink Coffee Instead"
Lightning' Hopkins * "Coffee Blues"
The Ink Spots * "Java Jive"
Lag Wagon * "Mr. Coffee"
Less Than Jake * "Black Coffee"
Gordon Lightfoot * "Second Cup of Coffee"
Link 80 * "Jennifer's Cafe"
Manhattan Transfer * "Java Jive" (Ink Spotscover?)
Bob Mould – “Black Sheets of Rain”
Bob Nell * "Why I Like Coffee"
Pogues * "Money, Guns, and Coffee"
Prince * "Starfish & Coffee"
Otis Redding * "Cigarettes and Coffee"
REM – “Java”
Paul Shaffer – “One Cup of Coffee”
Frank Sinatra * "Coffee Song"
Squeeze – “Black Coffee in Bed”
Suspects * "Caffeine





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home