Sunday, October 03, 2004

And So It Goes...

Per my last post, I had a lot of plans this weekend, and accomplished few of said tasks...

The Sox season is over. I'll have a wrap up this week... The Cub season is also over. No wrap up, but it is a shame for the Cub and Chicago to lose Steve Stone - one of the sharpest minds in baseball.

One bit of Sox news- they did release their 2005 home schedule. For the first time since 1990, they open the season at home. Also, the LA Dodgers make their first trip to the southside since the 1959 World Series, and the Yankees are in on a weekend for the first time since 2000. The other NL team (besides the Cub) to visit new Comiskey is Arizona. For more info, check the Sox official site - link at the right.

And an interesting stat from the Trib; 2004 is the first year the Sox and Cub have had back-to-back winning seasons since 1937! How's that for awful? Chew on that, Red Sox fans!

Sox minor league wraps beginning this week. No, really. This time I mean it...

So I didn't watch any of the A's/Angels series... I did see the 4th quarter of the OSU/Northwestern game, but fell asleep in OT. Still don't know who won. Not sure I care... Ohio U upsets Kentucky in Lexington. Didn't see that either. Georgia looks like they are aiming fro a showdown vs USC.. They'll have to get by Auburn first, whose offense looks incredible as they tore apart in Vols in Tennessee. I think their QB is a true freshman. Regardless, he's one to watch.

One thing I did do was make way down to 18th and LSD to visit the new and improved Soldier Field for the first time. We tailgated for few hours and the weather was nothing short of perfect. The Chicago PD and the Bears need to put more porta potties in the parking lot - I was in line for half an hour at 10:30 AM trying to take a leak. I learned my lesson, the second time I just peed in a bottle in the car, which reminded me of that scene in "Dumb and Dumber" cause I filled more than one bottle.

I have to say, that for the very deserving criticism the new stadium recieves for its exterior, the inside is stunning. I don't think there's a bad seat in the house - it's built going up like the old Chicago Stadium, so you feel like you're right on top of the field. But it's not too steep, like new Comiskey. We sat in the north end zone, about halfway up. The sun shined on my face all afternoon and I've got a red face to show for it. Great view.

They did a good job of creating some cool spots - like the porch and grassy knoll (under the party deck) on the far NE corner that overlooks the lake... Also, on the west side, you can walk right thru the old columns, down the stairs to the lower level that was mostly left untouched... My only complaint - prices for food and drink are way way too high. $7 for a slice of pizza? $4 fries? $4 bag on pnuts? $6 beers? I bought nothing...

And the Bears lost - 19-9. They covered the spread, which was 11... McNabb looked good in front of the hometown crowd...and there were a lot of Philly fans there.

One thing not there were groups of horny women. Unlike baseball games, at the Bear game, men outnumbered women 10-to-1, and the few women that were there were all with dudes...

Busy busy few weeks in front of me. I'll try to watch some of the baseball playoffs. I guess I'll root for the Red Sox and Dodgers, but ultimately, really don't care.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home