Monday, March 06, 2006

The Best 80s Rock Albums You've Never Heard Pt 1

I was reading on Stosh's blog about his encounter on a bus last week with the Mekons Sally Timms, and got to thinking about the Mekons, and how, despite growing up a huge music fan in the 1980s, I've never heard any of the Mekons records. It did, however, remind me of that great song "If I Was A Mekon" by Too Much Joy from their oft overlooked "Son of Sam I Am" album.

So, whist drinkin a bit (the MILF is out seeing fuckin 'Brokeback'), here is a short list of some great 80s albums you've never heard, but were staples of my adolesense:

Too Much Joy - Son of Sam I Am
The Pursuit of Happiness - Love Junk
Georgia Satellites - In The Land Of Salvation and Sin
Little Steven - Voice of America
Replacements - Hootenanny
Replacements - When The Shit Hits The Fans
Husker Du - Flip Your Wig
The Ravyns - self titled debut on MCA
Fear - The Record
The Kings - The Kings Are Here!
The Young Fresh Fellows - The Men Who Loved Music

I wanted to add the Minutemen's Double Nickels On the Dime to this list. But if you've never heard that album, you have no fuckin business being here in the first place (kidding of course).

Speaking of which, I'm desperately trying to find this t-shirt for the MILF for her b-day in May. She'll be the talk of the burbs pickin up the kiddies from the school in that number. If that doesn't work out, maybe I'll just get myself a 'Metal Circus' coffee mug. I hope they ship to the USA!

14 Comments:

At 2:05 PM, Blogger Your Girl Friday said...

80's music is one of my many weaknesses. Is that cool? I don't know.
Love the Replacements.

Banish me from your blog if you need to: but have you heard of INXS????

 
At 4:23 AM, Blogger EasyW said...

INXS? Aussie group? Never heard of them.

Oh, wait, they have that lead singer who's big and bald, right?

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Your Girl Friday said...

Hahaha, no.

Lead singer was Michael Hutchence. He killed himself while masturbating. No shit. A strange interest in asphyxiation. Was found strung up on a hook in a Sydney hotel room, in his birthday suit.

Anyway, he was married to that skank Paula Yates, who then married Bob Geldoff, who I think just made up funny names for their kids while on drugs.Hehe

They were big in the mid - late 80's. Very big. But I guess in comparison to what you listed, they are nothing special.

Big and bald huh? *Cringe* I don't know who you are talking about but I'm guessing its embarassing. Our exports usually are!

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger MH said...

Husker and the Mats, two of my all-time faves. Was happy to see YFF's The Men Who Loved Music...that's a classic album that no one ever mentions as such (except for me).

Ironically, though I used to have some Too Much Joy and saw them play once, I don't I've ever heard the song about the Mekons.

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger MH said...

Not that it's my business, but I think he was kidding about INXS. And I'm guessing the bald dude from Midnight Oil is the other joke...

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Your Girl Friday said...

Thanks for clearing that up

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger EasyW said...

No no no. INXS is that band with the guitarist who dresses in a school boy uniform. I think their big hits was "For Those About To Rock With Big Balls In Black All Night Long!"

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger EasyW said...

MH - the song about the Mekons is only the CD version of "Son Of Sam I AM".

Worth seeking out... The allmusic.com review of the album misidenfifies "Train In Vain" as a cover of the famous Clash tune. Its not. But its a great song - acoustic piano with the lyric "The Playboy centerfold is younger than me...."

 
At 6:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girl Friday, how could you possibly believe that a guy talking about the fucking virtually unkown Mekons would NOT have heard of INXS, one of the biggest bands in the world in the 80s? jeezus. Besides, EasyW probably secretly wants to try autoerotic asphyxiation himself!

 
At 5:34 AM, Blogger EasyW said...

Hey - leave My Girl Firday alone. I'm the only person here who is allowed to give her a hard time.

 
At 7:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

suck it

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger EasyW said...

I would, but I'm busy trying to autoerotic asphyx myself...

uh... uh... uh.... UH!!!!

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger Your Girl Friday said...

Jeezus, I'm sorry.
As a product of the 80's, I am actually too young to remember exactly how big the band was.

Most children of the 80's jumped on the band wagon a lot later than everyone else. We missed all the hype - we just appreciate the music.

Again, I apologise, I seem to have got your knickers in a twist... hope you are feeling better. x

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger EasyW said...

Twisted Knickers.... hey - that's a great name for a band!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home