Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Island Dreamin Part II: Tropicalia


mm mmmm m mm

After work, I hiked up to the MCA (tuesdays are free admission) to see the Tropicalia exhibit, which closes January 8. Modern art is the most arbitrary of all arts, and its tough to place a lot of it in a historical perspective. The Tropicalia movement, for example, happened less than 40 years ago, so its impossible to completely gauge the influence - its still happening. Maybe that's the point. So, I'm not sure what I anticipated I'd get out of it other than a warm feeling for soccer, sun and samba.

The exhibit is small. By far the best part for me was interactive music installation by +2. Basically, you open the door on a small wooden box mounted to the wall to hear some techno beat. There are about 10 boxes, so the idea, I guess, is to open multiple doors and mix beats. Inside the boxes, however, are tiny video screens that displayed random images of Brazil. The photos were excellent and probably could have an exhibit of their own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home