Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Garland signs


Back!

Jon Garland signed a 3-year, $29 million dollar deal with the Sox today. It breaks down to $7 mil in 06, $10 mil in 07 and $12 mil in 08. Garland is just 26 years old, and if last year's numbers (18-10, 3.50 ERA) are any indication, he's about to hit his prime. He doesn't strike a lot of guys out, but he doesn't put a lot of men on base either. He doesn't smoke it past the hitters, but is more of control type guy (like Maddux). And based on the going rates for other pitchers of Garland's caliber, I think the Sox got a steal here. And I way under-estimated in my post last month what the Sox would pay him in arbitration ($4 mil). Near as I can tell, the Sox payroll is now pushing $90 mil, and Crede remains unsigned.

So what does this mean for Contreras? Well, I'm trusting the KW has a trick up his sleeve here. What, I dunno. I sure as fuck don't want to see McCarthy spend any more time toiling away down in Charlotte. Nor do I want to see him rot in the pen. Somethings gotta give. Contreras' trade value will never be higher than it is now. With Rowand and Young gone, and Dye and sPod unpredictable and inconsistent at best, KW needs to add some depth to that outfield. With Konerko signed and Thome to back him up, I wouldn't be surprised to see popular farmhand Casey Rogowoski packaged in the deal as well. But for who?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home