Monday, December 19, 2005

Return of AJ

AJ signs a 3-year deal worth - get this - $15 mil. A bit high, in my opinion.

Catcher is the most important position on the field, and the person in that position needs to be the most important player on the team. While I like AJ, I don't like him to the tune of $4 mil in 2006, $5.5 mil in 2007 and $5.5 mil in 2008... I think KW spent too much here - I estimated his worth to be about $3 mil/year in a post back on Nov 26. I wasn't off by much. .

One thing I don't like is that AJ turns 30 next week. Additionally, while his power numbers are up, if you can call 18 homers a 'power number', and his 2004 league-leading GIDP is way down, (likely due to his position in the batting order rather than his tendency to hit a lot of ground balls and run like he has shoes made of cement) AJ has no notable ability to hit for average, drive in runs or create anxiety on the basepaths. In fact, his average and RBI totals were all way off in 2005. On the positive side, he doesn't strike out much.

His defense appears to be average. I didn't see him throw out a base runner all year (though apparently he did - 23 of them, or about 25%) Also, his "unquestionable" handling of the pitchers may be over-rated. I for one see him looking over to the Sox dugout for signs all the time. I know his former team - the Twins - when in town, rode him for this. He does, however, appear to know his stuff and keep the pitchers in check.

Mark my words, this deal will come back to bite the Sox in the ass. Not in 2006, maybe not in 2007, but in 2008 for sure... Of course, they can always trade him by then and bring in Johnny Estrada.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home