Friday, December 09, 2005

Snowed out

Things are a mess on the southside. The forecast on thursday was for 1-3 inches, 4-5 south of I-80. Since I live north of I-80, I didn't bother to gas up the snow blower - 3 inches just isn't enough to use that kind of heavy machinery. We got at least 10 inches. So much snow that part of my roof is actually caving in. As a result I now have huge muscles from shoveling snow for two hours. Gotta deal with the roof thing.

And while the snow might look pretty, it ain't no fun for those of us who have to live in it. I am in desperate need of winter boots. I'm holding out for the pair I really want but can't find in black, and might have to settle with these instead. Damn!

I also find that the older I get, the less I'm able to tolerate this sort of weather. I've lived in Chicago almost all of my life, love it, and swore I'd never leave. But all of a sudden, Arizona is sounding pretty sweet. This year, the City of Big Shoulders has already been hit with a major stretch of sub-zero temperatures and now this - among the 5 largest late year snowfalls on record. And its only December 9th!!! I swear, I've had it.

On the positive side, I'm going to try to get out and do some skiing this weekend. Hooray!

The tragic accident at Midway last night will no doubt prompt a series of lawsuits against Southwest, the city, and God himself. Bottom line is that some innocent kid is dead, a families' lives are ruined forever, and the lawyers will be the ones to profit off it. I've often found myself at intersections around Midway - like the one at 55th and Central - and thought to myself that it is only a matter of time until a plane crashes thru one of those barriers and into the street. Very sad to see it actually happen.

I've been busy this week with a variety of issues and events, not the least of which was my company and departmental Holiday gatherings. Nice to know that I can stop myself after just 2 drinks.

Sox Update: In a move that surprises no one, the Sox fail to offer arbitration to Thomas, Everett and Casanova, effectively making official what we've already known - their days with the Sox are done.The Sox selected 3 players in the Rule 5 draft.

DALLAS -- The Chicago White Sox selected infielder Tim Hummel, catcher Cole Armstrong and right-handed pitcher Dewon Day this morning in the minor-league phase of the Rule 5 Draft. Hummel, 27, was selected from St. Louis in the Triple-A phase of the draft. The 6-foot-2, 215-pounder split the 2005 season between Class AAA Pawtucket (Boston) and Class AAA Memphis (Cardinals), combining to hit .262 (108-413) with 10 home runs and 50 RBI in 120 games Hummel is a career .281 (654-2,330) hitter with 40 home runs and 284 RBI over six minor-league seasons. He also played in 82 games with Cincinnati in 2003-04, going 43-194 (.222) with three homers and 17 RBI. Hummel originally was drafted by the White Sox in the second round of the 2000 First-Year Player Draft and spent four seasons in their minor-league system before being traded to the Reds in August 2003 in exchange for pitcher Scott Sullivan. Armstrong, a 22-year-old who bats left-handed, was selected from Atlanta in the Triple-A phase of the draft. The 6-foot-3, 220-pounder spent the 2005 season at Class A Rome in the South Atlantic League, batting .225 (86-378) with seven home runs and 42 RBI. A native of Surrey, B.C., Armstrong is a .251 (143-569) hitter over three minor-league seasons, all in the Braves system. Day, a 25-year-old reliever, was taken in the Double-A phase from the Toronto Blue Jays. The 6-foot-4, 210-pounder split 2005 between Advanced Rookie Auburn and Class A Lansing, going 0-0 with a 3.86 ERA (7 ER/16.1 IP) and 18 strikeouts in 12 games. Day has gone 2-3 with a 2.13 ERA (17 ER/71.2 IP) and 73 strikeouts in 67 games over three minor-league seasons, all with Toronto.

I can't find any info on whether or not the Sox lost any players in the Rule 5.

The Sox also traded Marte to Pittsburgh for Rob Mackowiak, a fairly good hitting utility man who is an Oak Lawn native. While Marte showed flashes of brilliance, he was inconsistent. We thought his days were done with the Sox after a bizarre incident in Sept when he showed up late for some rehab work. He came back and in the playoffs... Look for Arnie Munoz - definately - and Paulino Reynoso - probably - in Tuscon come march.

About 500 million people watched the World Cup 2006 draw friday afternoon from Germany. I was among them. US gets into group E, this year's Group of Death (or 'Groupo Deatho') with Italy, Ghana and the Czech Republic. Good preview here.

1 Comments:

At 6:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi ##NAME##. Hope you are well. I came across your site totally by accident. In fact it wasn't exactly on a topic I was looking for (I was on the lookout for airplane crash info). But as I was searching, one link led me to another and I got curious about your blog. I found it interesting and thought I'd drop you a line to tell you so. I guess thats what surfing is all about.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home