Thursday, November 24, 2005

Next victim; Rowand

The Sox first really huge move of the off season has taken place, with Aaron Rowand, Daniel Haigwood and Gio Gonzales being sent to the Philadephia Phillies for Jim Thome.

After all I've read in the media, and what I know from personal observation, here are my thoughts:

Rowand is one of the best defensive centerfielders in baseball. He's also good on the basepaths. And as we've seen, championships can be won with speed and defense (and pitching. Just ask the 1982 St. Louis Cardinals.). That said, Rowand, a dead-ringer for Tom Cruise, struggled at the plate in 2005, looking more like Ron Cey at the plate. He's got a HUGE hole in his swing and seems to be missing that fundamental bat-ball connection. And this 2005 disappointment comes on the heels of a big new contract he signed early in the year (on the eve of SoxFest, if I'm not mistaken). Offensively, his numbers are easily replaced by Brian Anderson. As great as defense is, you need to hit. Just ask Jason Dallero. Losing Rowand's clubhouse presence is another matter entirely. You can't replace 'heart', something that Rowand has a lot of... Like a lot of Chicagoians, I'm sad to see him go, but still understand the trade, dollars and sensewise, and support KW's vision.

Gonzales, just 20 years old, went 5-3 with 84 strikeouts in just 57 and 2/3rd IP, at Low A Kannapolis in early 2005, and was then moved up in mid-June and was 8-3 in 13 starts at High A Winston-Salem. He struck out 79 in just 73 and 1/3rd IP, walking 25. Haigwood, age 22, began 2005 at Class High A W-S, was 8-2 in 15 starts, striking out 84 in 76 and 1/3rd IP, walking 33. In July, he made the jump to AA Birmingham, and went 6-1, sporting an impressive 1.74 ERA, with 76 Ks in 67 IP.

Haigwood and Gonzales have yet to be measured at the big league level. I'll side with Vince over at South Side Sox, who says this trade will ultimately be judged on how many big league wins Gonzales gets in a Phillies uniform versus if the Sox can make another title run with Thome-Konerko. I haven't seen either Haigwood or Gonzales pitch first hand. But I can tell you that, statswise, Gonzales appears to have the stuff. But, he could get hit by a bus tomorrow. Who the fuck knows?

I've been a fan of Thome's since his days as a Cleveland Indian back in the 1990s. His numbers were, uh 'off', last year... so off, in fact, that the only explaination is an injury. According to scouting reports coming out of Florida, Thome in his rehab is in the best shape of his life.

One thing to keep in mind, the Sox are not as deep in the outfield as the media, bloggers included, would have you believe. Dye seems to be in the twlight of a medicore career, and is, I'm sure, poised for a season-ending injury early in 2006. sPod is not nearly up to par defensively, and, despite the stats, is even LESS of a threat at the plate than Rowand (though more a threat on the basepaths). Despite the Rookie of the Year award in 2003, sPod is coming off two medicore seasons in 2004 and 2005. He just can't hit, just can't get ON base. He may have batted .297, but how much of that was infield singles and bunts? At some point, sPod is going to have to the face the music and learn how to hit. Yeah yeah, I know, the home run in game one. OK, even Duane Kuiper and Bucky Dent hit homers.. even a blind squirrel finds an occassional nut...

I'm not sure what this means for Big Frank Thomas. Probably, he's done with the Sox. though I said the same thing about Damiso Marte back in September, so what do I know?

I am also unsure what this means in regards to the re-signing of Paul Konerko. You'd think this would be positive, but I'm not so sure. I'm wondering if a Thome-Dye platoon at first base just buys time until Casey Rogowski is ready, likely, 2006 when Dye is let go and Thome moves to DH full time. By then, Anderson will established himself in the outfield and Chris Young should be knocking on the door.

KW might just be freeing up more cash for an even bigger deal. What, I dunno. But that's my angle, anyways...

Best case scenario, Thome helps the Sox to another World Series victory. Worst case scenario? None. The Sox already won a World Series in my lifetime.

Go SOX!!!

On a personal note, I'm happy to be done with Thanksgiving. I spent the day drinking this... and the evening, this.

And while the death of Mr. Miyagi is grabbing headlines in the world of showbiz, I'm sad to report that one of my favorite musicians, Chris Whitley, also passed away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home