Thursday, May 19, 2005

Wednesday in the sun

I went to the game on wednesday. The rain held off and the weather was nearly perfect. Stopped on the way for a cold bottle of Old Style, al fresco, at Cal's Liquors in the South Loop before heading down to the ball yard. There is something very satisfying about drinking a beer outside at noon on a wednesday. What a country! I sat in section 328, which is the reserved box area. Super nice seats, great views and clean, uncrowded bathrooms - I was a total gypsy in the palace.

I have no real observations on the game. It didn't look to me like Konerko's homer made it over the fence, much less was fair. But it got out of the yard so damn fast it was hard to tell. Just before one of Dye's doubles, I noticed the Texas leftfielder was playing straight away and giving him too much room down the line. I said to my friend, "There's giving Dye too much room down the left field line," and less than 3 seconds later, he wrapped one around 3rd. The Ranger catcher Barajas was a terror - gunning down 3 Sox runners trying to steal second, including sPod and Ozuna. None were even close plays. That dude has a cannon for an arm.

After the game my friends and I headed over Jimbos and again enjoyed our Old Style beers outdoors. The waitress was hot.

Sox Update: Konerko continues to slowly emerge from the 0 for 26 slump, going 3 for 4 with a homer. Dye also continues to improves- he was 3 for 4 with 3 doubles and drove in 2. AJ homered for his 4th straight game. I was a little disappointed in Ozuna's performance. He was 1 for 3, but left 4 runners stranded.

Off day today before heading up to Wrigleyville for the first of this season's city series. It should be nuts, so I'm going to try to stay in the burbs. I think I have to go to Bucktown on saturday evening, so I hope all the drunks have passed out by then instead of moving the party west.

Down On The Farm:

Charlotte (AAA): Finally beat Ottawa - 7-0. Frank Thomas was 1 for 5 with 2 strikeouts. Borchard homered. Casanova drove in 3.

Birmingham (AA): Beat Miss 6-4. Young struck out 4 times.

Winston-Salem (A): Beat Salem 11-6. Collaro watch; 2 for 5 with 2 doubles and 2 RBIs. Daigle was 3 for 5 with 3 RBIs, Shaffer was 3 for 4. Hinton and Nanita homered.

Kannapolis (A): Beat Delmarva 7-2. King and Hernandez each had 3 hits.

Baseball phrase of the day: buck-fifty n.adj. batting average of around .150 - as in, "He's battin' 'bout a buck-fifty."

Olde Tyme Movie Review: Kinsey (2004). this isn't really an 'old' movie, but it is a period piece. It was tastefully done, and that's the problem, they had a chance ato create some wild scenes and chose not to. But it does make me want to read up on the topic a bit more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home