Sunday, January 30, 2005

Southside Hall of Fame

In a fit of bordem, I tried to come up with a list of famous southsiders. And while just about all 78 Nobel laurates from U of C probably should be included, I've only chosen the sexy, heavy-hitter household names. The list is heavy on the Sox, for obvious reasons.

So, here it is - easyw's unoffical Southside Hall of Fame (feel free to add to the list):

Science:
Enrico Fermi
Subramanyan "Black Hole" Chandrasekhar

College Football:
Amos Alonzo Stagg
Jay Berwanger
Walter Eckersall

Economics:
Milton Freidman

Entertainment:
Steve Allen

Baseball:
Minnie Minoso
Harold Baines
Double Duty Radcliffe
Ron Kittle
Carlton Fisk
Bill Veeck
Luis Aparcio
Nellie Fox
Bill Melton
Luke Appling
Ted Lyons
Billy Pierce
Eddie Collins
Red Faber
Al Lopez
Charles Comiskey
Chico Carrasquel
Ozzie Guillen
Buck Weaver
Joe Jackson

Pro football:
Dick Butkus
Chris Zorich
Marv Levy
Charles Bidwell
Paddy Driscoll
Charles Trippi

Literature:
James T Farrell
Richard Wright
Saul Bellow
Carl Sandburg
Gwendolyn Brooks
Langston Hughes

Music:
Herbie Hancock
Quincy Jones
Mel Torme
Lou Rawls
Pop Staples
Buddy Guy
Muddy Waters
Gerri Oliver

Religion:
Elijah Muhamad
Louis Farraken

Painting:
Herman Menzel

Politics:
Jesse Jackson
Mayor Richard Daley the 1st
Mayor Richard Daley the 2nd
Harold Washington
Caroyn Mosely Braun
James "Genial Jim" Knight

Not that I've achieved much in life, unlike those listed above, but I did get laid last night! Enrico Fermi would be proud of the dynamic physics performed! I've spiced up the bedroom a bit by adding a red light and silk sheets. Kinda trashy, but kinda sexy as well. Last night began like the last few - a long massage, this time with the added lubricant of warming massage oil on a chill night. I advertised it to my MILF as a "no strings attached" session, but after 20 minutes, I slowly peeled away her panites, flipped her over and said, "That part about 'no-string attached'? That was a lie". She figured as much and welcomed my advances with open legs...

6 Comments:

At 1:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

More U of C-ish suggestions:

For economics:
Arrow, Becker, Hayek, Samuelson, Schultz, Stigler

For science:
Cronin, Michelson

Away from the U, for politics:
Metcalfe (also qualifies for general athletics)
Ed Kelly (the mayor, not the park super)

You've some typos here, but it would be churlish of me to mention them specifically given otherwise impressive work . . .

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger EasyW said...

Thanks - I'll add the names you suggest.

Yes- I've got typos. That is one of my bad habits - I think faster than I type and I'm too impatient to go back and correct mistakes.

I'm much better than I used to be... I took a business wrtitng class and proofreading class at U of C (Graham School) and those were very helpful...

At work, I have professional proofreaders that check my work. That helps, but mistakes still occassionally get through.

Thanks for reading. I hope you'll come back often - especially when the baseball season begins!

 
At 6:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As long as you're going to add, I'll suggest one more name for politics: Madigan.

And is Steve Allen a South Sider or from 'da region'? Or do you consider them the same? Regardless, if you add him, does Jean Shepard qualify? And, away from entertainment, what about Frank Borman?

 
At 6:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another possibility for literature: Finely Peter Dunne?

 
At 7:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Blog! I also have a site about cheesecake factory tasso sauce
. You can check it out at cheesecake factory tasso sauce



Also, as a thank you for visiting my site, I'd like to tell you about a great site that is giving away a FREE DVD Camcorder! Just click the following link and enter your Zipcode to see if the promotion is available in your area!

FREE DVD Camcorder

 
At 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog about arizona state fair and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site about arizona state fair so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here! If you get a chance, please stop by arizona state fair

 

Post a Comment

<< Home