Sunday, January 16, 2005

The Punishment of Knowledge Seekers


Short man, big book

This bio I'm reading on Napoleon is about 1/2 the size of a cinder block and nearly as heavy. I'll be happy when I'm done with it, and don't have to haul it around with me, especially as I commute to and fro on the train each day.

Last night my neighbor calls me out of the blue at 8 pm and tells me come right over and "Bring a wine glass." He's a guy who can be a bit of a wine snob, the same way I used to be a bit of a music snob, but he's mellowed just in the few years I've known him. I have some basic wine knowledge, and I've been to Napa three times in the past few years, plusFrance and Italy, but I don't spend on wine - I just don't have that kind of disposable income. For the past year or so, the only red I've bought is a gallon jug of Carlos Rossi Paisano, every month. I did find a cool Porteguese white at Trader Joe's that I like during the summer, and whenever I go camping I bring along a huge bottle of "Rhine" that mixes well with my cheap beer. So it was a treat last night to enjoy the super smooth, rich flavor of a good wine, maybe the best I've ever had. It was a Markham 96 Cab. When he bought it in 98 or 99, it probably cost him $20, but man has it aged well. I knew cabs were good in 98 and 99, and I've downed my share of those, but for my money, this was better.

So much for not drinking when I'm sick.

4 Comments:

At 2:44 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

If your local wine mrchant ever has a few bottles of the lovely Australian Leasingham Bastion Cabernet Shiraz 2000, 2001 etc I highly recommend purchasing. Beautiful soft, full bodied, well rounded and delicious, with a lovely aroma -- sounds like a gorgeous woman, yes?

Cheers,
Ell

 
At 3:58 AM, Blogger EasyW said...

Yes - and I love Australian women!

But I'm also financially challenged, so I hope its not expensive...

thanks for the tip!

 
At 6:14 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

My pleasure on the tip, it's very affordable and verydrinkable for that matter -- retails here in Oz for about $12.00AUD.

Cheers,
Ell

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger EasyW said...

Great - I'll check it out...

My neighbor the wine nut is heading down under next month... But I think he's more anxious to see his first cricket game than he is to drink Aussie wine...

Another pal of mine who works for CNN International Sports is heading to the East Coast of Australia in August. Its his first trip, and he scheduled his trip in order to see some Aussie Rules Football.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home