Sunday, January 09, 2005

Apres-ski


This is not the corner of Archer and 107th St.

I took advantage of the snow today. Went sledding in the morning, but we abandon the hill as more and more people began to show up. In the afternoon, I did some cross country skiing out in the Preserve. I thought the snow would be sticky, but it wasn't -- it was perfect. I go there all the time, usually to mountain bike, and I was surprised to see all the parking spots full.

Considering I hadn't been on the trails in a year, I was happy I was able to do 4 miles pretty easily. And even though a lot of people were there, there were not a lot of people on the trail I was on, I saw maybe 6 or 7 in just over an hour.

It was great to get out there, by myself, and just clear my head. I stopped by a snow-covered lake, ringed with huge pine trees, and just enjoyed the natural solitude for a while.

The apres-ski scene is non-existant on the SW side, but I did the best I could. It was dark when I got home, but I still had a beer, some Jarlsberg cheese, smoked trout, olives and (afterwards) chocolate. Still, not the same thing. Not even close.

Music I'm listening to today - lots of Van Morrison, especially "Astral Weeks" (amongst the most sensual music ever made), and the Fruit Bats.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home