Friday, December 31, 2004

The positive side of having the stomach flu

A few days before Xmas, I caught some nasty bug that upset my stomach. I wasn't throwing up, but for a period of 36 hours, all I consumed was three chocolate oatmeal cookies, a smoothie, and two cokes. Normally, I don't drink soda, but there is something in the carmalized carbonation of cola that settles my stomach. So I didn't have a drop of alcohol for four days... that's the positive side...

Conversely, the negative side of Xmas is that I drink all day. Not a "drunk", but a few glasses of champagne while opening presents, one of those presents is usually a big beer, which I drink with lunch, and some wine with dinner. By the end of the day, I felt right again, albeit guilty.

I hope all my many readers - both of them -had a happy holiday and got every material possession their lil selfish heart desired. Being financially challenged, I only spent a few hondo this year, and gave more of myself thru things like decorating and spending time with people. Sadly, that didn't include the opportunity to munch on some lucky lady for a few hours. Luckily, no one spent a lot on me to make me feel guilty. I did get a few nice things. Notably, a cousin gave me the John Stewart Daily Show book on America. I had seen this on the best seller list but had dismissed it as another Al Franken Michael Moore style rant. And while I'm super liberal and love those guys, I've kinda had enough. The America book is nothing like that. Its apathetic genius, formatted like a high school history book. Hilarious. One of my lady friends gave me some White Sox gift certificates, which can be used just like real money any where at New Comiskey. I'll probably use it for tickets, though I'd rather use it for a 1959 fitted hat, or beer. Billy Pierce's picture was on this alternative currency - bet he never thought he'd receive such a high honor. My Starbucks boycott has been maintained, but since I got a $10 gift card, I've been forced to go. I guess I have no problem paying $1.61 for a cup of coffee if its somebody else's money. Since Cousins raised their prices, now I don't even have an alternative, so I guess I'm going to give up coffee. Probably for the best. I can't afford it, financially and don't need it physically.

I saw a few movies over the weekend. "Polar Express" was OK, until Aerosmith showed up. I went into "The Incredibles" thinking I'd dislike it, and walked away extremely satisfied. Man, Pixar has yet to make a bad film. They're so funny and creative. You have watch their movies 5 or 10 times to get all of it. I swear, "Toy Story 2" is not only one my all times favorites, I think its one of the best films ever made, period. There's a lot in there...

On tuesday I comingled with the hillbillies from DeKalb and the Cavepeople from Iowa at the Art Institute to stare at them pretty pictures on the walls. I was there for one purpose- to see the "Unbuilt Chicago" exhibit before in closed next month. I was hoping to see all kinds of wacked out designs, but walked away disappointed. Most of the unbuilt structures were undistinguished office buildings, or random row houses. Snooze. There were a few things on the Columbian Expo of 1893, and a few others that concentrated on redesigning the lakefront, but nothing on Armour Square Field.

My company is matching donations for the tital wave victims dollar-for-dollar. So I'm collecting money from family and friends whose companies aren't doing that, as well as making my own donation, and then having the corporation double it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home