Monday, December 13, 2004

FOX Sports World suggestion box

I love the medium of television. Even though I don't watch it that much, having access to information and entertainment on hundreds of channels 24/7 still amazes me. During my rare downtime, I'm much more likely to pick up a book than watch tv. But recently, especially since I've increased the size of my set from 20 inches to 36, I'm watching a bit more. Seems like there is always something interesting on...

I probably watch a lot less sports than the average, 30ish male. But I probably watch more international sports - such as Aussie Rules Football and soccer. So I was thrilled a year or two back when I finally got access to FOX Sports World. I had this notion in my head that I would get a wide variety of interesting sports programming from across the globe - day long cricket matches, hurling, chariot races... However, almost all of their programming seems to be soccer, and almost exclusively English Premier League. Now, don't get me wrong, I like watching Liverpool play to a 0-0 draw twice a week as much as the next hooligan. But all this talk of the winter league baseball got me thinkin...

I think there is a base of hard core baseball nuts who would love to see Winter League ball- live or taped delayed - from the likes of Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, Venezeula, and Mexico. Certainly more than care about a match up between Santos and Corinthinas in the Brazilian futbol league. Probably even more than care for the NFL Europe. It would be like watching spring training year round.

There are, however, some challenges to providing this. While these fine 2nd world nations all have electricity and television, I'd imagine the logistics and expense would make this venture risky - I'm not sure FSW would be willing to take that chance. Second, after reading the "Exile in Wrigleyville" posts on games in PR, it sounds like the culture of the countires means the games may not always start on time. In fact, they could be rather late. Maybe a tape delay could work this out.

Anyways, its a thought... and one I haven't heard before.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home