Monday, May 29, 2006

Memorial Day


You can't wear the flag like that Posted by Picasa

Nice long weekend. I've got the next week off work, so please expect more regular postings, including a recap on all the minor league stuff.

Before I get into the baseball stuff, I wanted to remind my readers (both of you) the meaning of Memorial Day. I didn't plan on thinking about it that much, but saw some special on CNN Presents about wounded American soldiers in Iraq. It got me thinking of the enourmous sacrifices that these people make... regardless of your feeling on this 'war', selfless humans who put themselves in the line of fire, and make the ultimate sacrifice, are worthy of some time and thoughts from the rest of us. Too often, the misguided Patriotism we see in the form of auto magnets fail miserably to provide any real meaning behind how fortunate we all are.... So while you're sitting around in the sunny backyard, surrounded by family and friends, getting sauced and enjoying the bounty of bbq-ed treats, its important to remember that there is someone JUST LIKE YOU who is shaking in their boots on the sand of some godforsaken middle eastern desert wasteland who probably doesn't want to be there and would give anything to be you at that moment.

OK, I'm off my soapbox. On to some fun stuff.

The MILF sacrificed herself and gave me a quickie on saturday night. She wasn't really in the mood, but I was 'in need.' Sadly, I'm out of KY lube and had to use that nasty Astroglide stuff. I've noticed a little Astroglide goes a loooong way, so I need to remember to apply less next time, its soooo smooth I can hardly feel anything.

How bout that Indy 500? If you can make it thru the first 450 miles, the rest of the race is thrilling. Fuck!

Sox Update: The Sox go into Toronto and lose 2 of 3 to a good Jays team. Maybe the Sox beat themselves. Friday Konerko homers, but Garcia has a bad outing... as does Politte and the Sox lose 8-2. Saturday Ozzie explodes after a 3-2 11 inning loss. The pitching, namely Contreras and McCarthy, was great, there was just no hitting, no hustle (other than Crede, who went 3 for 5. Sunday the Sox bounced back big, as Dye homers and 3 for 4. Mack also homered. The ailing Iguchi got the day off, and in his place, Cintron picked up 2 RBIs. Garland gave up 6 ER in 5 IP, but still got the win...

Big 4 game series at Cleveland begins today at The Jake.

The Sox trail the Tigers in the Central division by 2 and 1/2... Detroit is, by the way, impossibly, 20 games over .500... yes, 20 games... and its not even June 1st.

DOWN ON THE FARM:

update coming... I promise.

Baseball phrase of the day: ...is taking the holiday off.

Music: Got caught up on some hipster stuff over the weekend.. the Arctic Monkeys do nothing for me... but I enjoyed some Spoon, Hold Steady and Block Party.

Beer count: thursday - 2, friday - 2, saturday - 1. Sunday over to a friend's house for a traditional M-Day cookout, and had 3. It was a treat to drink good beer for once - I had a Moretti and two Red Stripes. I'm just about out of my Yuengling.

Potentially some big news forthcoming on a part-time baseball-related hobby... stay tuned.

I remember all those great Memorial Days I spent back at school in southern Ohio (all 4 of them , at least). Since I was from Chicago, and school ended in June, unlike everyone else, I never went home for the holiday - in two weeks I'd be home for 3 months. No thanks. So I spent a lot of time studying for finals and drinking. the town was deserted and that's how I imagined summer in Athens, which sadly, I never got to expereince. So laid back.... I wish I was there...

1 Comments:

At 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you regarding the arctic monkeys. I honestly can't figure out what the buzz is about. Spoon is awesome.

You may also like Silver Atlas. Free samples here

 

Post a Comment

<< Home