Sunday, May 21, 2006

Yuengling


Since 1829 Posted by Picasa

Ever heard of this beer?

About 2 years back, there was a great article on the front page of the Wall Street Journal discussing Pennsylvania's ancient liquor laws and their effect on the dynamics of the local beer industry. Apparently, these laws were created many years ago to allow local brewers to retain a disproportionate market share, at least when measured against other states. For example, in every other state in the USA, Bud and Miller control about 90% of the beer market. The other 10% would be a mix of imports (mostly Corona), major micros (like Sam Adams), and local micros (like Great Lakes, in Ohio). But in PA, the law has created a different sort of pie, a large slice (to the tune of about 25% if I recall the article correctly) of which is controled by Yuengling. Similiar sized market shares are held by both Bud and Miller, with the other 25% being the aforementioned mix, albeit it with more of a local twist. But to have a 3rd brewer dominate a large local market is unique - unheard of really - ... and in the minds of Bud and Miller, a bad thing, since they want their greedy hands on what thy feel is their divine right to those market shares.

So, ever since I read that article, and as a huge beer drinker, I wanted to taste what all the fuss was about. On saturday, I acquired an entire case of Yuengling Lager, not an easy feat since the beer is sold only in about 10 states, all of which lie far to the east. My conclusion is that it is good cheap beer (about $15 a case). Its got some flavor and taste, much more so than Miller or Bud. I drank 3 while watching the Cub-Sox game- not a real Chicago thing to do (guess I should've been drinking Old Style, or at least my Special Ex).

I hope Yuengling keeps up the good fight!

7 Comments:

At 10:05 PM, Blogger Your Girl Friday said...

15 bucks a case!!!! I wouldn't care what it tasted like!
Well, that's not true... but, you know...:)

We don't get hardly any American beers down under... apart from the occasional Bud at BackPacker bars.
I've been told that my "Australian pallette" wouldn't approve though.. not bitter enough!

Hope you're well.

 
At 5:56 AM, Blogger RKWJ1 said...

I believe Yuengling boasts that it's also the oldest brewery in North America. Great beer. I drink Yuengling quite often and I'm always amazed how good it is for the price.
Drink up!
later,ROB

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger EasyW said...

Bud is the worst.

I had a friend who recently got back from dwon under. I forgot what he said was the big beer down there. I know it wasn't Fosters.

Email me sweetie!

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger Your Girl Friday said...

Who me?!?!

We all hate Fosters.. it tastes like cat's piss... and the poms drink it warm... yum... warm cats piss.

Perhaps, Carlton Draught? Victoria Bitter?

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger EasyW said...

yes, you.

wmcool2@yahoo.com

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I went to school in Pittsburgh and cheap Yuengling was one of the best things about it. It is the oldest brewery in America and for the money, the tastiest beer around (at about $20 per 24 bottles in PA).

I'm now in Chicago and would love to find a source for Yuengling. Where did you find it?

 
At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Beer, I grew up on the stuff. Usually bring about 6 cases back with me every trip. everybody i have given it to likes it a lot. Good taste, very smooth, and not a snobby beer. Just a real good drink and for $15 you can't go wrong. Just waiting to find a place in the Chicagoland to get it so i can stop bothering family member to drive out with some.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home