Sunday, May 14, 2006

Laying in bed on a rainy sunday


Coffee, a chocolate crossiant and the sunday paper would complete this picture Posted by Picasa

Something I wish I could do...

I'm finally beyond the bug, and ready to play some catch up on the blog.

Sox Update: There has not been much to write about during these first two games up in Minnesota, the Sox having dropped both and being outscored 18-5. On friday, Ozuna was the lone offensive highlight, going 2 for 4. Garland got shelled. Saturday, sPods continued on the road to .300, going 2 for 5 (he's now at .273). AJ was 3 for 4. Vazquez's ugly line (7 ER in 5 2/3rds IP) is particularly disturbing to me because I've got him on my fantasy team.

At 23-12, the Sox cling to a half game lead over the Tigers.

Tonight's contest at the rollerdome is the ESPN sunday night game. this season, I don't think they still have that local music/baseball feature on this program. Too bad, tonight might have been Westerberg.

DOWN ON THE FARM:

My last post on the Sox minor league system being all the way back on May 5th, I'm going to do a weekly round-up:

Charlotte (AAA):
--on May 6th, in the first half of a DH, Rogo homered; Phillips got 6K in 6 IP. In the nightcap, Randolph - 5 IP, 5 Ks, 5 walks.
--5/8, Velandia and Gonzalez each struck out 3 times; Redding 7 IP, 5 Ks, 5 BB, 2 ER
--5/9, Blakely struck out 4 times; Tracey 6 2/3rds IP, 6 Ks
--5/11, Velandia hit a grand slam; Blakely and Fields each homered
--5/12, Fields and Young homer; Stewart 2 for 3, 2 RBIs.

Birmingham (AA):
--5/6, Rodriguez gets roughed up 11 ER in just over 5 IP
--5/7 Sasser 2 for 3, HR, 3 RBIs, Collaro 2 for 4; Liotta 4 IP 7 ER; Tucker 2 IP, 6 ER
--5/8, Smith stuck out 4 times; Broadway pitched a sweet complete game shutout, allowing just 4 hits with no walks and 7 Ks.
--5/9, Collaro 2 for 4, HR; Lumsden 5 2/3rds IP, 6 ER, gave up 4 homers.
--5/10, Myers, Smith Schnurstein, Collaro and Molina gets 2 hits each; Malone 5 IP, 6 K, 2 ER.
--5/11, Smith 2 for 3, HR; Rodriguez has another poor outing - 6 IP, 3 ER.
--5/12, Liotta pitched well enough to win - 7 IP, 1 ER, 3 Ks - but gets the loss.
--5/13, Smith walked 3 times, Amador struck out 4 times. Another great outing for Broadway - 6 IP, no runs (though he did yield 7 hits), 5 Ks, 3 walks.

Winston- Salem (High A):
--5/6, Torres 5 IP, 9 Ks.
--5/9 Hernandez 4 Ks in 2 IP of relief.
--5/10 Hansen 2 for 2 with 2 walks; Egbert 7 IP, 10 Ks.
--5/12, Torres 2 IP, 6 ER, 5 walks.
--5/13, Hansen 3 for 4, HR

Kannapolis (Low A):
--5/5, they had 5 errors, but had 14 innings in which to do it. Still won 8-5. Perez 5 K in 3 IP.
--5/6, just 1 E in a 12-7 loss. Ricks 2 for 4, HR, 4 RBIs; Rote 5 IP, 9 ER.
--5/7, no E in 5-3 loss.
--5/8, 3 E in a 10-1 loss.
--5/9, 0 E in a 3-2 win.
--5/10, despite 2 E won 7-3. Orlando and Roberts were each 3 for 5. Sanchez homered.
--5/11, 4 E in a 16-2 beating. Rote 3 ER in 4 IP, 5 K, 3 walks.
--5/12, 3 E in an 8-3 loss. Hernandez 3 for 3.
--5/13, 1 E in 6-3 loss. Cortes 6 IP, 4 ER, 6 Ks.
SEASON ERROR TOTAL: I count 70 in 36 games, with 2B Whealy leading the way - 11 in 21 games.

Baseball phrease of the day: bill n. a game in the schedule.

Music: In an effort to combat the seemingly endless rainy season here on the South side, I've let Martin Denny's Quiet Village/Enchanted Sea take me away to a paradise in the South Pacific. Also been giving that new Death Cab For Cutie a listen. Not too bad...

Olde Tyme Movie review: The Times of Harvey Milk (1984). An Oscar-winning documentary, I saw this fine film for the first in a film class in college back in about 1989. I was surprised Netflix had it and wanted to see it again. After all this time, even as a very straight male, it still had an impact on me. What a story. Apparently another Milk movie is in the works, set for a 2007 release. Also, if you're in the market for the best folk song ever written on Harvey Milk (there have been several) for my money, the best one, by far, is Steve Zarate 's 'The Ballad of Harvey Milk.' Try to steal it, however, as the album its on, 'Homecoming' is horrible.

Beer count - hard to believe, but I haven't had a drink in a week. Having a horrid stomach virus will do that to ya. Not sure when I'll get back to it. Maybe tonight. I honestly I cannot remember the last time I went a whole week without at least one beer.

I had to put my conditioning program on hold all of last week. I'm back at it on monday. I also have at least two softball games next week, though from a sunday point-of-view, it looks like my game on tuesday might be rained out.

I know what I'm going to give the MILF for mother's day... the usual deep tissue massage, chocolate, and some alkiehall. Hopefully that will lead to a little lovin. Lord knows, I needs it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home