Sunday, April 30, 2006

On a milk carton


fix that crack Posted by Picasa

I apologize, I've been MIA all weekend. Its late and don't feel much like writing. Sanding drywall all day will do that to ya.

I'm still tearing apart the Sunday Trib. Looks like the 'Books' section has a piece on James Farrell and the Sox. I read the great article on Chicago-style 16-inch softball. For anyone else in the rest of the nation who doesn't know what that is, you are missing out. For the past 15 years or so, I've played 12, but the day will come that 16 returns into my life.

Speaking of softball, my season begins next week. Good thing I've been training. Speaking of which, I didn't do much of last week. I managed to lift weights on wednesday and friday and that was it. Back on that horse this week!

Speaking of this week, I have to leave for work VERY early tomorrow to avoid the overcrowding on the trains and in the Loop for the May Day Immigration rally. Officials expect maybe half a million or so to march right past my building. Great. Maybe the rain will reduce those numbers.

I'm in the market for a new mountain bike. My ol' Trek 830 Antelpoe, which I bought just after I got out of college and moved into my first real apratment in Wrigleyville in 1992, has long since had it. I still ride it to and from the train, but it has no brakes, rarely shifts gears and has had the rust so painted over as to be unrecoginzable. Last year, I had my heart set on a North Face Namotu. But Dick's sold out of them. So I looked at Iron Horse, but can't find them anywhere. I've finally settled (I guess), on a Gary Fisher Tarpon. I've always wanted a Fisher, and while this will bust my budget of $200 (the bike will be $300), I think it will be worth it, at least if my usage of the old Trek is any indication - I rode that thing all over the Lakefront in the early 90s (which is fun maybe twice), used it to commute to and from 2 suburban jobs (16 miles a day) back in 1994, a great trip to West Virgina in 1998, and all those memorable years at Waterfall Glen and Palos. So long, old pal... but I'm looking forward to the exciting work of front suspension!

2 Comments:

At 10:05 PM, Blogger Your Girl Friday said...

Ha! That photo is too funny! She looks extremely uncomfortable.

I know how hard it is to be 'healthy' and 'fit'. Every Monday I say to myself, "ok, no more burritos or beer, more exercising, less cable worshipping" but it just NEVER happens! I always try to use J as motivation, cos he is a great big perve (like all men)... I make sure to keep myself in line with his eye candy, or else, one day, maybe, it won't just be his eyes doing the wandering!

How in the hell do you ride a bike with no brakes, without killing yourself?!?

 
At 9:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

homegirl looks like she's about to drop a turd right on the floor there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home