Friday, January 06, 2006

A Rough Day On The Southside

Rougher than usual.

First came the news of the death of Lou Rawls. A truly great voice. When I think of great soul singers, Lou Rawls is the first name that pops into my head. He was a Chicago native who had grown up on the south side with Sam Cooke, but eveuentually made quite a name for himself as well.

Second was the huge fire at the Pilgrim Baptist Church at 33rd and Indiana. The fire was the biggest I've ever seen. I was more than 3 and 1/2 miles away and, thanks to being in the tallest building in the SW Loop, had a clear view. The flames were HUGE. I see fires all over the city out my windows once or twice a year, but this one was far and away the biggest. The chruch was built around 1890 and was a landmark, and an anchor of the Bronzeville neighborhood. It was also a Louis Sullivan design. Luckily, no one was injuired.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home