Monday, September 05, 2005

5 the hard way


wander sometimes

As you may have surmised from my lack of communications lately, my heart is just no longer into this circle jerk of a blog. I'm committed to provide some sort of updates until the end of the season, but real life has been both too much fun and kicking my ass lately. All or nothing extremes, all the time.

My free time has been occupied with the whole situation down in New Orleans. Odd for me, I'm not much of news/hype junkie. But rapid urban deterioation piques my interest. I volunteered to the part of my family that does non-religious mission work in Mississippi, but the town they work in is in the north, so no extra help needed. They did ask that I might eveuentally need to get them guitars. Go figure. Who am I, Clapton?

Sox Update: The Sox have now won five in a row, including a 4-games sweep over the hapless Detroit Tigers. I've watched most of these games and here arew some observations:
Thursday: back to their old ways - a 12-3 win/ AJ was 3 for 3 with a homer. Dye also homered. Uribe was 3 for 4. For once, Contreras gets the win he deserves- 7 IP, 3 Er, 5 K.
Friday: a 9-1 win included honers by Evertt, Harris and Uribe. Garcia goes 7, striking out 7, giving up just one ER.
Saturday: Iguchi is back in the line up and goes 3 for 4. Rowand homers and drive sin 3. DYe also homers, Buehrle goes 7, striking out 8 and giving up just one ER.
Sunday: A classic duel as Garland outpitchces Bonderman, and the Sox go on to win 2-0. Konerko homers. Ozuna made a sick, un-Godly play to end the 4th. Since spring, he's my favorite Sox player- and a guy that deserves to play every day!!!
Monday: McCarthy shows some stuff, as he downs Schilling and the defending World Champion Red Sox 5-3 in the conroversial make-up game. McCarthy goes 7, gioves up no runs and strikes out 7. He get sthe win and is now 2-1. Konerko and Uribe homer.

I spent saturday on the metal bleachers under the sun at Ryan Field, watching the Cats that are Wild defeat the Cats that are Bob, 38-14. The Solich Era begins much like how the Knorr Era ended. New coach, same result. And the immediate schedule gets no easier for OU - Pitt next week, albeit at home, then back on the road to face Virgina Tech. Late season match-ups against MAC powerhouses Bowling Green, Toledo and Miami. Welcome to Athens, Mr. Solich!

Busy Saturday night, so I didn't get to watch the US men's soccer victory over Mexico. Thrilling, or so I read. So now the US offically qualifies for Germany 2006. Woo-hoo!

Baseball phrase of the day: balloon flier n./arch. high fly ball.

Today's music selection: Stan Getz is all around me these days. Why why why why why????

I'm now about halfway thru The Young Manhood of Studs Lonigan, which means I'm halfway thru the larger trilogy. I have to finish this up, my autumn reading list awaits.

I did dive into some Carl Sandberg last week. Good Morning, America is his largest collection of short form poetry - more than 100 pages. And it opens with an epic. Ugh!

Beer count - 2 on saturday. Old Style. Yeech. Sunday I have some tests at the hospital in the morning, a BBQ in the afternoon, so it could get ugly. And it did - 5 (though all of it Becks and Goose Island!!!) Monday - 3 beers (Old Style again), 3 glasses of wine (some 2-buck Chuck. Ugh). Oops...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home