Friday, April 08, 2005

Issues and understanding

Wouldn’t ya know it, as soon as the season begins, I start having system issues. God Damn Dell, this PC isn’t even a year old! I'm posting from work today, which I'm not supposed to do. So don't expect any updates over the weekend. I'll try to fix the issue. Probably something to do with cookies. I also have a driver recognition issue which is what has prevented my access to iTunes that I have wisely (I hope) stored on my portable hard drive.

Not much else going on here on the Southside. Not even any good sex stories to tell.

I have noticed that the number of views of this page has jumped in a big way this past week. Over the course of the past few months, I've been getting - give or take - about 50 hits a day, about 1000 per month. That's jumped to 100 day, and over 1000 in the last week. Not sure why, but here are two theories:
1) baseball season has begun and my self promotion on other Sox web sites is paying off.
2) I've been added as a link from a super cool blog from Cleveland called "The Blast Furnace". I've added his link to this site at right (http://www.theblastfurnace.net/).

So if you visit this site, leave me some feedback, OK? Thanks.

The Blast Furnace is a lot like this blog, but with less sex. And its set in Cleveland. I was born in Chicago, but a lot of my family is from the North Coast, and I've spent tons of time there, calling it home on and off from 1994 thru 1996, and I went to school at Ohio U, so I have contacts there. Its a great place to visit - especially the West Side Market, the Art Museum, the parks, the Jake, the WIlliam Mather, Aladdin's in Lakewood, Heck's burgers (for meat eaters) the Old Arcade, even the rock n roll HOF isn't so bad if you think of it as just a really big Hard Rock Cafe with no food. I'm almost ashamed to say that one of my first concerts was seeing the Michael Stanley Band at Blossom Music Center back in 1984. Man, what was I thinkin? I hated living there, its just too small. And the whole city closes down by 2 am. And all day on sundays. I need a 24 hour burg, round the clock excitement and authentic big ass burritos for $3 at 6am on Xmas morning (at El Farol in Summit). Yeah, can't image leaving Chicago. Ever. Unless I can find a way to move to Europe.

I haven’t posted in a few days, so here are some quick hitters.

For every win like wednesday, when the Sox pull it out in the bottom of the 9th, coming back form a 3-0 defecit on back-to-back homers from Konerko and Dye to win 4-3, there is a game like today, when they blow a 5-2 lead in the 9th. Its especially disturbing because a rare, fine outing from Contreas gets wasted. At least Iguchi is hitting. The Sox head up to Minnesota for a weekend series.

Speaking of the Twins, my pal who works for them might not be able to get me free tickets any more, beginning later this month when they come to Comiskey Park. Apparently, MLB has some new rule that taxes comped tickets. He’s searching for a work around, but in the meantime, I’m stuck. Its especially painful since my friend with Cub season tickets moved to NY at the end of last year. Am I gonna have to start paying for tickets to see games? Damn! The Sox/Dodger bleacher tickets I bought for June 17 are the first I've paid for since 1993.

Friday is opening day for most oF the minor leagues (A ball and up). Keep it tuned here to Southside Adventures for all the daily updates from Birmingham to Great Falls.

Sounds like a deal is in the works to move the Sox radio broadcasts to WSCR ‘The Score’ 670 AM. Its about time. I still have friends who work there, so maybe I can get some comped tickets from them, along with insightful baseball commentary.

On the heels of the Bellow death, another Southside icon has passed away. Bob Kennedy, former Comiskey Park vendor, Sox player and Cub manager and GM is no longer with us.

Still plowing thru Moneyball. 100 pages in and there is a lot of praise for Bill James. I’m unconvinced. Sure, stats don’t lie, but in baseball, like in life, there is no sure thing.

Baseball phrase of the day: step in the bucket v. to step back or pull away from home plate with one’s front foot while batting (I heard Hawk use this one on Thursday’s broadcast).

Today’s music selection: Loud and proud from the 1980s – Husker Du’s Flip Your Wig, the Minutemen’s sprawling masterpiece Double Nickels On the Dime, the criminally overlooked Young Fresh Fellow’s It’s Low Beat Time. Also, some 1960s era Herbie Hancock – the chill Maiden Voyage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home