Sunday, March 06, 2005

The Other Winfrey Show..and so much more

I spent part of my lame saturday night watching the best visual media humanity has to offer - public access TV! Call the results proof of evolution. Among my favs are "The Other Winfrey Show" (music, interviews, and.. oh, the fun never stops!) and Glamore Productions Presents "Star Performers Showcase" hosted by Rocky Esposito (basically bad karaoke from society's lowest rung. Must be seen to be appreciated). Its a shame "Chicago Models" is no longer on the air, I really enjoyed the voyeuristic nature of watching the same slow motion ass shot sequence of some random teenage girl from Circuit Club - repeated over and over and over again. . And while everyone reading this has likely seen "Chicago Motor Sports Unlimited", I really can't think of any words to describe how bizarre this freakshow is.. Really, it is beyond description. If you have not yet witnessed this spectacle, don't believe me, see it for yourself:
http://www.msutv.com/
Funny thing about this show, I think its been on the air for some un-Godly amount of time - like 20 years.

Cable access is the best TV there is - you couldn't invent characters and situations this deeply disturbed.

Cactus League Update: I must be a bit out of it. Friday was a split squad game. Beside the 10-9 loss to the D'backs discussed below, the Sox beat the Rockies, 4-3. Pods and Alverez each go 2 for 2 and scored 2 runs. Both of Pods hits are - get this - triples! Spidale gets a hit and a run and Valdez goes 2 for 3. Garland does it with the bat and hits a double. Good thing, as his pitching line is awful - 3 ER in 3 IP. Garcia started and wasn't much better, 2 ER in 3 IP. Villacis gets the win in an inning of scoreless relief.

On saturday, a 7 run 5th inning, which includes a Carl Everett grand slam, propels the southsiders to a 10-0 victory over the D'Backs. Davis and Crede each gets 2 RBIs. Rogo and Alverez each go 1 for 1 with a run scored. The Sox still leave 7 on base. McCarthy pitches 1 and 1/3rd to start and gets the win. Marte bounces back (sort of) - striking out 3 in 2 IP, though he hits two batters. Vizcaino makes his first appearance and strikes out 2 in 2 IP.

One week in, the story in spring training 2005 is Pods great hitting and the awful pitching.

Baseball term of the day: slud v. past tense of the verb "to slide". Phrase attributed to Dizzy Dean during his illustrious broadcast days.

Olde Tyme Movie Review: Summer Lovers (1982). A young Peter Gallagher and an even younger Daryl Hannah star as two wanderlusting Americans who retreat to the gorgeous Greek isle of Santorini for a summer to focus on their work and each other. But things get complex when a beautiful French archeologist catches Gallagher's eye. Mayhem ensues. Made me wish I was back in Greece. Highly recommended.

During my travels out of state on saturday, I picked up a copy of the free publication Michigan Beer Guide, March 2005. Not much here until the last page, when I came across an article by guy named Ted Carrier called "Collector's Corner". This issue, he focuses on 'Baseball & Beer'. Among his memories are the 1976 Cincinnati Reds on cans of Hudepohl. He goes on for a few hundred words about brewery promotional items that are somehow tied into baseball. Interesting stuff, I guess, and I think it is appropriate that I mention it since this blog favors baseball, and I often profess my love of beer (especially the likes of Old Style and Special Export, though as I write this I am drinking a Bergoff Lager. Hmmm). More here:
http://www.michiganbeerguide.com/beerguide.asp

AL Central preview to come. Probably monday. Promise...

As a reminder: I'd really appreciate, that when you leave my site after each visit, you exit by clicking on the ad link below at the right (I'm paid by clicks on the ad from this site). The more revenue I generate, the more high quality FREE content you'll continue to enjoy here on an (almost) daily basis.

5 Comments:

At 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good grief, I still have those Hudepohl cans. There were special cans for both the '75 and '76 Series winners. I'm fairly sure a Pittsburgh brewery did something similar for the Steelers, though my memory may be a bit rusty (har har) there . . .

 
At 5:03 AM, Blogger EasyW said...

I remember IC used to do that with the Steelers and Pirates a lot.

 
At 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, that's it, Iron City . . .

 
At 7:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dizzy Dean and Peewee Reese. Great to listen to along with several choruses of 'The Wabash Cannonball' when the game lagged a bit. Good memory.
Still great in Canada to listen to Tom Cheek and Jerry Haworth do the Jays games.

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger EasyW said...

Hey Jay Lovin canuck--
I'll give them a listen next time up North shopping at the Roots outlet and drinking Molson...

Thanks for droppin by!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home