Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Just another day


Pure genius

I'm trying to hold everyones' interest here until baseball season begins.

Today the postman was kind enough to deliver my copy of James T. Farrell's My Baseball Diary. I anxiously opened it to begin scanning at a random passage, and on p. 29, this is - I shit you not - the first passage I read:

Obviously, because I was born on the south side of Chicago, I became a White Sox fan. Since baseball took such a strong hold upon me, it permeated my boyish thoughts and dreams. It became a consuming enthusiasm, a part of my dream or fantasy world. The conversation about baseball which I sometimes heard at home, the nostalgic recollections of players who had passed out of active play, the talk of players and games in an almost legendary way, all this was part of an oral tradition of baseball that was passed on to me, mainly in the home, during the early years of this century.

Baseball writing just doesn't get any better than that. Among the chapter titles are "My Grandmother Goes To Comiskey Park" and "What I Think of the Dodgers". I'm licking my chops, drooling actually, at the anticipation to begin reading this...tomorrow.

Music:
I needed Brazil today. Lots of Brazil. And the sweet soothing voice of Rosa Passos made all my pain disappear, floating away on a white puffy cloud against a sea of eternal sky blue happiness.

Stay tuned, I'm about half done with a preview of the AL Central. I'll try to have it done and posted by monday. In the meantime, have a sexy-ass pre-weekend!

4 Comments:

At 7:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Entries like this are why I read your blog. I think you've convinced me to buy the book. (I see SIU Press reissued it in 1998.)

 
At 4:03 AM, Blogger EasyW said...

Thanks for reading. I'll try to keep up the high quailty content you've come to expect.

 
At 8:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, entries like this and the beer nuts recipe, too . . .

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger EasyW said...

Thanks.

There are more vegetarian, bachelor-style recipies on the way...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home