Sunday, February 20, 2005

Classic Baseball on VHS Part 1; 1985-7

So I finally got around to watching the old Cubs videotape I came upon while cleaning out my storage unit two weeks ago. Its a full game tape from Oct 3, 1985 - the Cubs hosting the Pirates on a beauitful day at Wrigley Field. I'm probably violating MLB copyright standards by posessing this tape, so I have since destroyed it.

Here are some of my impressions:
--rookie Shawon Dunston wildly swinging at nearly every pitch
--one of the worst defensive plays I've ever seen when Cub catcher Steve Lake blows a sure out when he holds the ball too long in a rundown and a 21-year old rookie PITCHER beats his throw to second.
--the players were all sooo much smaller compared to the guys out there today. The difference is incredible. Working out my ass. It's roids!!!
--Dwayne Staats promoting the upcoming first ever "Die Hard "Cub Fan Convention
--Bob Dernier choking up on the bat (when was the last time you saw a player choke up?)

And some classics quotes from Harry:
--Congratulations to Hawk Harrelson, just named Director of Operations for the White Sox.
--the suburbs have one thing the city doesn't - cable TV.
--the Illinois Supreme Court ruled against lights in Wrigley Field
--Bill Veeck is out in bleachers today, and he's brought his better half. Don't know who the gentleman is to his right, but he was with him yesterday as well.
--I see Sandberg hitting 40 home runs someday
--(Cub ballgirl) Marla Collins looking as pert and as pretty as ever. Even though she's now engaged and out of circulation.
--I gotta go talk to Keith Moreland

Oddly enough, after the game at the end of the tape was an old Late Night With David Letterman that featured Eddie Van Halen sitting in with the band, and also had a great segment with Dave interviewing Johnny Carson. Made me feel like I was in a time machine, and back in the "acne years."

Also, while in the library the other day, I checked out an old hour long VHS tape from 1987 titled The Chicago White Sox; A Visual History. Narrated by Jean Shepard, who is instantly reconigable as the adult voice of "Ralphie" for the film A Christmas Story. This is a pretty quick but fun history of the Sox with some good old footage and interviews.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home