Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Blog Money Blues


Muddy Waters - bluesman, Sox Fan

With my 15 GB iPod on shuffle this morning, trudging to work in the frigid March snow, Muddy Waters coarse voice pierced thru the darkness and made me smile. Not once, not twice, but three times out of the first 10 songs. I think its an omen.

I saw a great PBS documentary over the weekend about legendary South side bluesman. On several occassions, his relatives recalled fondly that Muddy was a Sox Fan. One of his grand kids told of a memory of how Muddy would often spend afternoons lying in the bedroom, making floats with vanilla ice cream and grape Nehi, and watching the Sox on TV.

Great article on page B8 of The Wall Street Journal today that discusses how blogs can be helpful in generating business for small companies. As I noted a while back with "Sex and Moxie" blog, the age of the blog as a business tool is here. I want to make it real clear that this blog is focused on southside culture, not just the White Sox. In fact, I'd encourage all readers to avoid paying retail price for anything Sox - from merchandise (check eBay) to tickets (go on mondays or tuesday, use your connections, use company tickets as opposed to buying your own).

Music I've been listening to: Lloyd Cole's brillant high water mark love hate relationship masterpiece Don't Get Weird On Me, Babe. And despite avoiding all things rock over the past year, Paul Westerberg's amazing return to form - Mono.

1 Comments:

At 1:38 PM, Blogger NanetteFabray said...

It would make sense to assume someone was using their blog to promote a business IF THE EVER PUBLISHED THE ACTUAL NAME OF THEIR BUSINESS or mentioned it by name in the blog on a frequent basis.

Jesus Christ...could it POSSIBLY be that I just like to encourage a dialogue with people and offer up differing opinions and thought and want to try to help people understand each other better?

And, have you noticed that I'm not exactly a stellar example of a girlfriend? If I were using the blog to promote a dating business don't you think I'd be a little less forthcomign about some of the stupid things I do and worry about with my relationship-seeing as though I own a singles related business?

Don't get me wrong, I live in NYC, so I'm no stranger to cynics. But you have no idea who I am, you've never spoken to me, you've done nothing but comment and piss and moan and gripe about me on my blog comments. And the really fucked up thing? YOU KEEP READING IT. I don't care if you like it, don't like it, think it's a business tool or what.....but if you find it so damn personally offensive..STOP READING IT.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home