Saturday, March 25, 2006

Thorn in our side


NO! Posted by Picasa

By now you've read all there is to read on the Borchard for Thornton trade. I'm sad to see Borchard go - I've had a fondness for him ever since he hit that 500-foot homer back in late 2004. But it was his time, I guess.

What I don't understand is why anyone in their right mind would trade anything more than a ham sandwich for Matt Thornton. Thornton is the focus of a number of funny blog entries from Lookout Landing. Seattle fans are very happy to see him leave. How happy? The same blogger apparently sponsors Thornton's page on Baseball Reference.com and has put up a new ad up that simply states "He gone!". Ha ha ha. Thornton had a debacle of a 2005 season, where, in 55 games, 57 IP, he went 0-4 with a 5.21 ERA, yielding 13 homers and 42 walks. Oh, he did strike out 57, but also threw 7 wild pitches. His stats from 2004 lead me to believe 2005 was not an aberration (big word... you like that, huh?). Basically, he throws hard and fast and can't find the plate. I haven't see his outings for the Sox this past week, but the stats indicate they were nothing short of awful.

To say that Sox pitching coach Don Cooper has his work cut out for him with this clown is an understatement. My prediction - Thornton is working the deep fryer at a Charlotte-area Arby's by July 4th.

Don't expect any more musing from me on Mr. Thornton He's not worth writing about.

2 Comments:

At 1:40 PM, Blogger Jeeves said...

The ultimate irony would be if Thornton gives up a monster shot that breaks Borchard's record for longest homer at the The Cell.

 
At 4:47 AM, Blogger EasyW said...

yeah... I wouldn't doubt it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home