Thursday, August 11, 2005

Seeing Red


seeing red

Sox Update: off day in Boston. I'm sure the guys spent the day walking the freedom trail deepening their knowledge of the early days of struggle in this great land, or day tripping out at Walden Pond, or possibly shopping on Newbury Street... Nah, they're in the hotel rooms with their Annies!!!

Down On The Farm:

Charlotte (AAA): beat Richmond 9-4. Anderson was 5 for 5.

Birmingham (AA): here's a strange one; the Barons score 10 runs in the bottom of the 8th and go on to beat Huntsville 17-11. I hope you had Young on your Southern League Fantasy team; he was 4 for 6 with 6 RBIs.

Winston-Salem(A): beat Wilmington 3-1 in 10. Broadway goes 6 scoreless innings, striking out 7.

Kannapolis (A): beat Lakewood 4-0. McCarthy had a 3-run homer.Russell gives up just one hit, no walks in 7 IP. He also struck out 7.

Bristol (R): ..the Sox score 6 in the top of the 9th and go on to beat JC 9-5. Welker was 3 for 5, including a homer, with 4 RBIs.

Great Falls (R): nuthin good about an 11-0 loss to Orem.

Baseball phrase of the day: through the slot prep. over home plate.

Today's music selection: in an attempt to expand my recent narrow minded world of music (which has been very limited to jazz), the iPod was on shuffle all day. I knew I was in for a ride when she started me off with Too Much Joy's 'Long Haired Guys From England'. Buckle up motherfucker!!!

I finished up Young Lonigan last night. After reading it, I think its fairly obvious that this started as a short story, and its inclusion(or expansion) in a triology is essential. Farrell seems to go off on a lot of character tangents. Ones which, I don't think, are setting up future points in the story. Also, his foreshadowing is so obvious that it ruins the ending. I already know Studs is gonna die - he's questioned his own mortality 3 times in the last 40 pages. Otherwise, I dig some of the dialogue (which is horribly dated, and horribly racist). Farrell also has a great sonse of place- setting up some nice scenic descriptions of the southside near the corner of 58th and Indiana.

Beer count - 4. Ouch.

1 Comments:

At 6:14 AM, Blogger EasyW said...

Hi Scott--

Too Much Joy has a web stie where you can pick up all their fine albums, including the long lost CD of "Green Eggs and Crack."

I borrow these pics from various sites.. I should probably give more credit where credit is due and I use them...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home