Wednesday, March 23, 2005

A day late


A memory?

...and a dollar short.

This article about Thillens Stadium stadium closing was all over the local news today. Thillens is apparently on a city-owned lot, but maintained by the Thillens Company, and since 1938 has been used for a lot of little league and charity events. I don't much about this field, but it sounds nice, so its sad to see it close.

Cactus League Update: I'm a day behind. I had a chance to watch a bit of tuesday's game on the Comcast replay. Dye made what has to be one of the best throws I've seen to get an out at second on what looked to be a routine double. Next half inning, he comes up and homers. Superman for a day. Iguchi was 2 for 3 but made a terrible base running mistake. Looks like the Mariners had put a fake on him, so I'm not sure I can blame 3B coach Joey Cora for this one. Sox lose 6-4. Contreas looked better - just 1 ER in 6 IP with 6 K. Walker lost the game for them, 4 ER in just 2/3rds IP.

Wednesday, the Sox killed the Brew Crew 17-9. Crede 4 for 4 with 3 RBI and a homer, Uribe 4 for 6 with 4 RBI and a homer, Rowand 3 for 4 with 2 RBIs, Pods, Borchard, Ozuna and Widger each had two hits (Pods had another triple). Willie Harris struck out twice. Carlos Lee gets some revenge on his old team with a homer. Marte plunked him and nearly cleared the benches. Jon Garland escapes injury after being hit in the foot. He pitched 2 scorelss innings and strikes out 2. Fields gives up 3 ER in 2 IP, striking out 4. Hermanson gives up 4 ER in his one inning of work.

Baseball phrase of the day: jelly bean n/arch. a raw recruit.

Today's music selection; Art Pepper The Art of the Ballad.

1 Comments:

At 8:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup. A really old post here, but I thought it necessary to point out that as a little leaguer, I played in Thillens. It's a heap, but I'll still be sad to see it go. I've also umpired there.

Still, as far as I know no leagues are run out of the stadium, so baseball should go on pretty much uninterrupted.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home