Thursday, September 02, 2004

Fading?

Even thouh the Sox came back and won a thriller last night, I still think they're out of it...and I'm not going back on that.

The pitching staff gave up some runs early again - Grilli looked better, but still gave up 3 runs in the first two innings. And while his final line looked bad, it was an improvement over his last outing, and he showed a great pick off move to second base... Rowand drove in 2 and Burke is on a mini hot streak - getting 3 hits last night.

Not sure this matters, but the Yankees beat Cleveland. The Twins beat Texas. So the Sox are still 8 and 1/2 back, 1 game under .500 - the same place they've been for a week, which is why they're toast.

I'll be anxious to watch Contreas this afternoon. He faces Mark Redman, who is struggling...

DOWN ON THE FARM:

(AAA- Charlotte Knights): Torres did his job as a leadoff man, going 2for3 with 2 runs scored. But the Knights lost a heartbreaker, 5-4.

(AA - Birmingham Barons): Sasser continued to look good - with a double and an RBI in a 4-2 loss.

(A - Winston-Salem Warthogs): Molina (C) homered in a 5-4 loss at Kinston.

(A - Kannapolis Intimidators): according to their site - "Jake Whitesides was a one-man wrecking crew for Kannapolis. The right fielder hit his first Intimidators home run, a two-run shot in the seventh and cleared the bases with a three-run triple in the eighth finishing the night 2-4 with 3 RBI." Sadly, they left the bases loaded in the 9th and lost 9-8. Also - "The Alley Cats roughed up Kannapolis starter Charlie Haeger (0-3) for eight runs, three earned in his six innings pitched. The visitors also took advantage of a season-high seven Intimidators errors." Nuff said.

(Rookie - Great Falls White Sox): Collaro Watch - only one hit, but that one hit was a three run homer, which was the difference in a 10-7 Sox win. Chris Kelley (1B) was 3for5 with 2 RBI. Hansen also had 3 hits. Bakker had a rough outing- giving up 5 runs in 4 and 2/3rds. But he did strike out 6 while walking only 1.

I've been doing a lot of reading lately, finishing up "Michaelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling", which was great. Who would've thunk it that Julius II was a warin n whorin kinda pope? Not me. I've seen the Sistine Chapel in person and it is one of the most amazing human created things ever - and I'm not a fan of religion or that kind of art. The book also taught me a lot about Michaelangelo.

I started in on "A Confederacy of Dunces" this week. Not sure how I missed that one in college. 100 pages in, I despise the main character, but the writing is outstanding - very descriptive and entertaining. It's being made into a movie with Wil Ferrill in the lead...

Also, I was lucky enough to get an advanced copy of an upcoming biography on George Halas. A friend in the biz threw it my way saying it was the best non-fiction book they've ever read. And I'll agree its an entertaining read, but the author has a style that's all over the board, and I'm not sure I like it. We'll see - I'm only about half way thru it.

Yesterday I stumbled across some erotica and sex blogs. As soon as I find some good ones, I'll post the links...



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home